Skip to main content

Quarter 2 Week 9 Update

Greetings Families,

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving break. It seems that everyone was able to stay healthy, which is a great blessing. It was good to have students back in the classroom yesterday. However, I think their absence made them grow more fond of one another as they've struggled with being talkative this week.

Here are some other notes about things happening this week. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know.


Water Bottles
Due to COVID-19 precautions, students are not permitted to drink from the water fountains. They must have a water bottle each day. Please help ensure that they have a water bottle every day. I recommend that they leave the same one at school for the week, not bringing it home each night and then bring it home on weekends to be cleaned. 


DECEMBER 11 - 100% Remote Learning Day
On Friday, December 11, we will be having our last 100% remote learning day of the semester. In-person students will receive all of the work their child needs for Friday on Thursday. They will have to access Google Classroom for the Spalding test that day. In-person students are not required to submit anything via Google Classroom. Students will also need to record their attendance via the Google Classroom attendance question. Please have this completed by 8:30 a.m.

If a child is absent Thursday and does not receive the packet, all materials will be available in Google Classroom for printing, or students may answer on lined paper. 


SCIENCE TEST - PART 1 VOCABULARY
For the final exam of the physical science unit, I have divided the test into two parts. Next week, during week eight, students will take the first part which is over vocabulary. I gave students a study sheet yesterday with all of the terms and definitions they are required to memorize. Some students may be able to prepare themselves for the assessment without parental support, but I suspect that most students will need help in preparing for this assessment. I recommend that a parent quiz their child each night using the study guide provided. The parent should read the definition, and the student should answer with the correct term. I have also created a Quizlet to help support you with this (https://quizlet.com/_936hdw?x=1jqt&i=q6iq0). If you permit your child to use the computer for this sort of work, I highly recommend it as it helps them study for the test in a quiz-like format. There are also games students can play that help them get grow in mastering these vocabulary terms. 


DIBELS
I have completed DIBELS testing and will be sending results out to families by the end of the semester. Overall, students have done well and most have shown good growth. Thank you for your support at home in encouraging your child to read nightly. 


LESSONS
ELA: We will continue reading Narnia this week. There will be a normal spelling schedule. Continue practicing the poem, “Stopping Through Woods on a Snowy Evening.”

Math: Continuing with a focus on money, this week students will consider how to multiply and divide the money by a single-digit number. Students will use long division with money, but there will not be remainders when dividing dollars and cents.

History: During week eight, students will be studying Christianity in the Roman Emipre, the decline of the empire, and how the empire divided into the Western and Eastern Empires. 

Science: Students will prepare for and take the first part of the physical science unit exam on the unit’s core vocabulary (https://quizlet.com/_936hdw?x=1qqt&i=q6iq0).