Greetings Families,
I hope you have enjoyed your break thus far and that your family enjoyed your Thanksgiving festivities if your family celebrates.
I want to tell you how thankful I am for your child. People often ask me how my year is going thus far, and I tell them how happy I am with my class this year. Yeah, there are a few kids who talk to much, well more than a few; but my class is full of gracious, funny, and kind students who make it a joy to be their teachers. I am so thankful that you have given me the privilege to be your child's teacher. It is a joy to serve you and your child as your child's teacher. It is an honor and duty that I do not take lightly.
Greek and Latin Roots Review Check (1-44)
I wanted to tell you how proud I am of my class's performance on the last Greek and Latin roots review check. Roots are one of those things that truly depend on the responsible efforts of the child. I don't review them in class often. I give them advanced notice when the big review checks are coming up, but other than that I don't so much to support them. It is really just up to them whether they study or not. On the last review check, almost half the class got an A or A-. Most of the class was in the B range. A few students got a C, two students got D's, and no one got an F. I've very proud of the effort the class made as a whole.
Typing
Many of the students are progressing very well in their typing skills. Yet, some are not finding as much success. Typing is an important skill for students to start mastering. It will be important for AzMERIT at the end of this year, but it is also an important skill they will use in later educational and vocational endeavors.
Mastering the skill of typing takes a lot of time and a lot of work. I would recommend that you have your child type something at home once a week. They could type a grandparent, cousin, or friend a letter or email. If they need me to print something out, I'm happy to do it. They can even send me an email from your account, and I would be happy to reply.
Headphones
I'm still having a number of students who don't have headphones or earbuds. They need these for Khan Academy and Typing Quest each week. If they don't have a pair, please purchase them a cheap pair to keep in their backpacks.
XtraMath
Students who pass all four rounds of XtraMath will be acknowledged during morning announcements and receive a fun gift from Mr. Gillingham. Four students from 4B have already been acknowledged: Aidan, Aiden, Diego, and Patrick. I look forward to seeing more 4B students find success with their math facts. I sent home a sheet for your child to practice at home. If you didn't receive this, I can email you a copy.
Spelling Bee
4B had its spelling bee two weeks ago. Congrats to Michaelyn for winning the class bee and Sophia S for being the runner up.
Bard Competition
Students were supposed to submit their bard competition by Tuesday. I'm not sure if any of them got a form from Ms. Arce-Lindsay or Mrs. Chilson. If they didn't submit it and would like to, please complete this form and submit it via email as soon as possible.
Lessons
Writing/Grammar: Students will turn their attention back to grammar for the rest of the quarter.
History: The students will continue their study of Arizona next week. There is a history quiz on Tuesday that is open notes. I've placed the study questions below.
Literature: Robin Hood has come to an end. This week students will look at a plot diagram to see how narrative builds toward a climax and then falls to a resolution. They will also discuss as a class whether Robin Hood was a villain or a hero because of the complexity of his behavior. Toward the end of the week, students will begin reading Prince Caspian, which is apart of the Narnia series. Please have them bring this book to class this week.
Math: This week in math, students will continue to look at fractions. They will look at adding and subtracting fractions that result in improper fractions or require regrouping. They will also spend time reviewing content learned this semester in preparation for the unit 1-3 cumulative test taken during week nine.
Poetry: "The Flag Goes By" is the poem students should work toward memorizing. Recitations will take place at the end of week nine.
Greek and Latin Roots: There is a review check on roots 45-47 this week.
Science: The test was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but there was no expectation that students study over the break and studying on Monday night doesn't seem like enough time for them to prepare well. Thus, I will move the test back to Wednesday to give them more time to study. They will also begin their study of the scientific method this week. Lastly, there is a review chemistry quiz on Friday. They should use the chemistry study guide from their science notebooks to prepare for this quiz, but I will also provide the questions below.
Spalding: Students will take a 50 word Spalding assessment on Monday to evaluate their grade level. This test does not impact their grades but is useful data. They will then learn 20 words this week. The assessment will be on Friday.
Schedule
Monday-Wednesday: Literature - Please send Prince Caspian to school one of these days.
Monday: 50 Word Spalding Assessment
Tuesday: History Quiz
Wednesday: Meteorology Test
Thursday: Math Quiz - Review Content
Friday: Science - Chemistry Review Quiz
Friday: Spalding - 20 Word Quiz
History Quiz Study Questions
1. How many regions is Arizona divided into?
2. What is Arizona’s most important water source?
3. What are the national parks of Arizona?
4. What are the ancient peoples of Arizona?
5. What did Father Kino build?
Chemistry Review Quiz
1. _________________________ is everything around you; it’s the material of the universe.
2. _________________________ are the tiny particles that make up matter.
3. _________________________ are particles that have a positive charge.
4. _________________________ are the particles that have a negative charge.
5. _________________________ are the particles that have no charge.
6. __________________________ is the amount of matter in an object.
7. _________________________ is the amount of space a thing occupies.
8. _________________________ is the amount of matter in an object relative to the space the object fills.
9. _________________________ is the absence of matter.
10. _________________________ are pure substances that cannot be broken down into simpler substances.
11. Each element is composed of _________________________ type(s) of atom.
12. When elements combine physically, they form a _________________________
13. A _________________________ is formed when a solute is dissolved into a solvent.
14. _________________________ is the Russian scientist who put the elements in order according to their atomic weight, creating the periodic table.
If you need anything, please let me know.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
I hope you have enjoyed your break thus far and that your family enjoyed your Thanksgiving festivities if your family celebrates.
I want to tell you how thankful I am for your child. People often ask me how my year is going thus far, and I tell them how happy I am with my class this year. Yeah, there are a few kids who talk to much, well more than a few; but my class is full of gracious, funny, and kind students who make it a joy to be their teachers. I am so thankful that you have given me the privilege to be your child's teacher. It is a joy to serve you and your child as your child's teacher. It is an honor and duty that I do not take lightly.
Greek and Latin Roots Review Check (1-44)
I wanted to tell you how proud I am of my class's performance on the last Greek and Latin roots review check. Roots are one of those things that truly depend on the responsible efforts of the child. I don't review them in class often. I give them advanced notice when the big review checks are coming up, but other than that I don't so much to support them. It is really just up to them whether they study or not. On the last review check, almost half the class got an A or A-. Most of the class was in the B range. A few students got a C, two students got D's, and no one got an F. I've very proud of the effort the class made as a whole.
Typing
Many of the students are progressing very well in their typing skills. Yet, some are not finding as much success. Typing is an important skill for students to start mastering. It will be important for AzMERIT at the end of this year, but it is also an important skill they will use in later educational and vocational endeavors.
Mastering the skill of typing takes a lot of time and a lot of work. I would recommend that you have your child type something at home once a week. They could type a grandparent, cousin, or friend a letter or email. If they need me to print something out, I'm happy to do it. They can even send me an email from your account, and I would be happy to reply.
Headphones
I'm still having a number of students who don't have headphones or earbuds. They need these for Khan Academy and Typing Quest each week. If they don't have a pair, please purchase them a cheap pair to keep in their backpacks.
XtraMath
Students who pass all four rounds of XtraMath will be acknowledged during morning announcements and receive a fun gift from Mr. Gillingham. Four students from 4B have already been acknowledged: Aidan, Aiden, Diego, and Patrick. I look forward to seeing more 4B students find success with their math facts. I sent home a sheet for your child to practice at home. If you didn't receive this, I can email you a copy.
Spelling Bee
4B had its spelling bee two weeks ago. Congrats to Michaelyn for winning the class bee and Sophia S for being the runner up.
Bard Competition
Students were supposed to submit their bard competition by Tuesday. I'm not sure if any of them got a form from Ms. Arce-Lindsay or Mrs. Chilson. If they didn't submit it and would like to, please complete this form and submit it via email as soon as possible.
Lessons
Writing/Grammar: Students will turn their attention back to grammar for the rest of the quarter.
History: The students will continue their study of Arizona next week. There is a history quiz on Tuesday that is open notes. I've placed the study questions below.
Literature: Robin Hood has come to an end. This week students will look at a plot diagram to see how narrative builds toward a climax and then falls to a resolution. They will also discuss as a class whether Robin Hood was a villain or a hero because of the complexity of his behavior. Toward the end of the week, students will begin reading Prince Caspian, which is apart of the Narnia series. Please have them bring this book to class this week.
Math: This week in math, students will continue to look at fractions. They will look at adding and subtracting fractions that result in improper fractions or require regrouping. They will also spend time reviewing content learned this semester in preparation for the unit 1-3 cumulative test taken during week nine.
Poetry: "The Flag Goes By" is the poem students should work toward memorizing. Recitations will take place at the end of week nine.
Greek and Latin Roots: There is a review check on roots 45-47 this week.
Science: The test was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but there was no expectation that students study over the break and studying on Monday night doesn't seem like enough time for them to prepare well. Thus, I will move the test back to Wednesday to give them more time to study. They will also begin their study of the scientific method this week. Lastly, there is a review chemistry quiz on Friday. They should use the chemistry study guide from their science notebooks to prepare for this quiz, but I will also provide the questions below.
Spalding: Students will take a 50 word Spalding assessment on Monday to evaluate their grade level. This test does not impact their grades but is useful data. They will then learn 20 words this week. The assessment will be on Friday.
Schedule
Monday-Wednesday: Literature - Please send Prince Caspian to school one of these days.
Monday: 50 Word Spalding Assessment
Tuesday: History Quiz
Wednesday: Meteorology Test
Thursday: Math Quiz - Review Content
Friday: Science - Chemistry Review Quiz
Friday: Spalding - 20 Word Quiz
History Quiz Study Questions
1. How many regions is Arizona divided into?
2. What is Arizona’s most important water source?
3. What are the national parks of Arizona?
4. What are the ancient peoples of Arizona?
5. What did Father Kino build?
Chemistry Review Quiz
1. _________________________ is everything around you; it’s the material of the universe.
2. _________________________ are the tiny particles that make up matter.
3. _________________________ are particles that have a positive charge.
4. _________________________ are the particles that have a negative charge.
5. _________________________ are the particles that have no charge.
6. __________________________ is the amount of matter in an object.
7. _________________________ is the amount of space a thing occupies.
8. _________________________ is the amount of matter in an object relative to the space the object fills.
9. _________________________ is the absence of matter.
10. _________________________ are pure substances that cannot be broken down into simpler substances.
11. Each element is composed of _________________________ type(s) of atom.
12. When elements combine physically, they form a _________________________
13. A _________________________ is formed when a solute is dissolved into a solvent.
14. _________________________ is the Russian scientist who put the elements in order according to their atomic weight, creating the periodic table.
If you need anything, please let me know.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
