Greetings Families,
WOW! Only one week of school is left. It's a big week, and I need your help. Often, students, when the break is right around the corner, start to lose focus. They forget to do their homework. They don't student for tests and quizzes. They are just so ready for a break that they start to break a week early. Please help them keep their focus this week as we try to finish strong.
Grandparent's Day
I want to say thank you to all of the families that were able to have some grandparents comes to our event on Friday. It was great having the time for our students to spend with their grandparents. At the same time, I know it can be hard for students who don't have grandparents there. My children lost their grandmother last March, my mom, and my wife's parents live in Kentucky. So I know that Grandparent's Day is a bitter/sweet kind of day for my students. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for the influence grandparents have in the lives of my students, and I think it is important to have a day to honor their work.
4B Social Event
Friday was a busy day with Grandparent's Day in the morning and then the 4B social in the evening. First, I want to say thank you to Ms. Bogren for setting this event up and Mr. Bogren for hanging out to make sure everyone had what they needed. I also want to say thank you to the families who took the time to come. I hadn't intended to swim, but the water was calling my name. It was great to get to play with the students and then spend time talking to the families. It's always great to have those opportunities to enjoy one another outside of school with the formalities usually tied to meeting there.
Lessons
Writing/Grammar: This week, the students will be practicing their writing skills by composing a narrative essay.
History: Last week, students read about William the Conqueror. We spent some time discussing the unusual situation he was in a Duke of Normandy and vassal to the king of France and as the King of England after he defeated Herold. In a strange way, he was both the servant of the king of France and the king's equal as the king of England. This week, the students will learn about William's great-grandchild, Henry II and about Henry II's friend Thomas Beckett.
Literature: This week, students will finish The Princess and the Goblin. Students will turn their summary packets in for review and grading. Students will start reading Robin Hood in the second quarter.
Math: There is a math test Monday over what has been learned thus far this year. The rest of the week will be spent learning how to multiply by two-digit numbers. I will begin by teaching them that the two-digit number can be broken down into its one and ten and then added.
Spalding: Students have completed the rule pages and have now been taught the most essential rules so spelling English words. Students will not be taught thirty words a week: 15 words on Monday, 15 words on Tuesday, review of the 30 words on Thursday, and then tested on Friday. Students will not have Spalding on Wednesdays to create time for typing practice.
Monday-Friday: "Dreams" Recitation
Monday: Math Test - Cumulative
Wednesday: History Quiz
Wednesday: Greek and Latin Roots Test (1-25)
Thursday: Math Quiz
Thursday: Science Quiz
Friday: Math Test - Multiplication by a 2-Digit Number
Friday: Spalding Test
WOW! Only one week of school is left. It's a big week, and I need your help. Often, students, when the break is right around the corner, start to lose focus. They forget to do their homework. They don't student for tests and quizzes. They are just so ready for a break that they start to break a week early. Please help them keep their focus this week as we try to finish strong.
Grandparent's Day
I want to say thank you to all of the families that were able to have some grandparents comes to our event on Friday. It was great having the time for our students to spend with their grandparents. At the same time, I know it can be hard for students who don't have grandparents there. My children lost their grandmother last March, my mom, and my wife's parents live in Kentucky. So I know that Grandparent's Day is a bitter/sweet kind of day for my students. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for the influence grandparents have in the lives of my students, and I think it is important to have a day to honor their work.
4B Social Event
Friday was a busy day with Grandparent's Day in the morning and then the 4B social in the evening. First, I want to say thank you to Ms. Bogren for setting this event up and Mr. Bogren for hanging out to make sure everyone had what they needed. I also want to say thank you to the families who took the time to come. I hadn't intended to swim, but the water was calling my name. It was great to get to play with the students and then spend time talking to the families. It's always great to have those opportunities to enjoy one another outside of school with the formalities usually tied to meeting there.
Lessons
Writing/Grammar: This week, the students will be practicing their writing skills by composing a narrative essay.
History: Last week, students read about William the Conqueror. We spent some time discussing the unusual situation he was in a Duke of Normandy and vassal to the king of France and as the King of England after he defeated Herold. In a strange way, he was both the servant of the king of France and the king's equal as the king of England. This week, the students will learn about William's great-grandchild, Henry II and about Henry II's friend Thomas Beckett.
Literature: This week, students will finish The Princess and the Goblin. Students will turn their summary packets in for review and grading. Students will start reading Robin Hood in the second quarter.
Math: There is a math test Monday over what has been learned thus far this year. The rest of the week will be spent learning how to multiply by two-digit numbers. I will begin by teaching them that the two-digit number can be broken down into its one and ten and then added.
22 x 15 =
22 x 5 = 110Once they understand how this works, I will then use the regular algorithms for multiplying 22 by 15.
22 x 10 = 220
110 + 220 = 330
22 x 15 = 330
Greek and Latin Roots: This week, students will take the one and only Greek and Latin roots quiz. They will take this on Wednesday. I will be providing nightly study guides, but strongly suggest that they use this Quizlet to help them prepare. You can create quizzes for them to complete online to help them study. I will also place a matching game they can use in a different blog post.
Poetry: Students will be reciting "Dreams" in class this week.
Science: This week, students will conclude the mini-unit of plants in the larger unit of life science. This week, students will be looking at vascular plants (plants that have vascular tissue for moving water and nutrients through the plant) and will be dissecting flowers to identify their parts. Students will also be taking a more difficult quiz on Thursday of this week. I recommend that you help them review for this quiz.
- What is the seed-bearing part of a plant, with reproductive organs? Flower
- What is the part of a flower that is often conspicuously colored? Petal
- What is the part of a flower stalk where the parts of the flower are attached? Receptacle
- What is the sticky part of the pistil that collects pollen? Stigma
- What is the tube-like part of a flower that connects the ovary and stigma? Style
- What is the enlarged basal portion of the pistil where ovules are produced? Ovary
- What is part of the stamen that supports the anther of a flower? Filament
- What is the structure in seed plants that ripens into the seed? Ovule
- What is the part of the stamen where pollen is produced? Anther
- What are the three ways seeds are dispersed?
- Wind
- Water
- Help of Animals
- Catch on Fur
- Animal Dung
Spalding: Students have completed the rule pages and have now been taught the most essential rules so spelling English words. Students will not be taught thirty words a week: 15 words on Monday, 15 words on Tuesday, review of the 30 words on Thursday, and then tested on Friday. Students will not have Spalding on Wednesdays to create time for typing practice.
Schedule for the Week
Monday-Friday: "Dreams" Recitation
Monday: Math Test - Cumulative
Wednesday: History Quiz
Wednesday: Greek and Latin Roots Test (1-25)
Thursday: Math Quiz
Thursday: Science Quiz
Friday: Math Test - Multiplication by a 2-Digit Number
Friday: Spalding Test
I'm looking forward to a great week. Please let me know if you need anything.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
