Skip to main content

Curriculum Night Recap

Greetings Families,           Curriculum Q&A Workshop - September 11, 6:00-7:00 p.m.

For those who were able to come on Wednesday night, thank you so much for taking the time to come hear me ramble for an hour. I hope my words communicated something of what the students will learn this year and my desire for your students to grow both academically and morally. For those who weren't able to make it, your child should be bringing a packet home with the information we covered last night.

Below, I want to do a couple things. First, I had a couple of questions that were left, so I want to answer those. Then, I want to show you how to solve the word problems we didn't have time to complete on Wednesday night. I'm actually just going to upload my copy of the curriculum night packet, so it has other things filled out as well. 

If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. Additionally, please plan to attend the Curriculum Q&A Workshop on September 11 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.


Questions

What do you do when your child is sick? Can we do the Khan Academy at home?

When a child can't come to school because of being ill, the best thing is often to let the child just rest. I would rather the child sleep most of the day and be back the next day than for the child to do school work not have the energy or wellbeing to come to school the next day. However, if your child is feeling well, and you think it would be a good idea for him or her to do some work, then Khan Academy is a great option.

If your child will be out for a few days due to illness, please let me know. I will try to get you the materials for that week so your child can work on that and not fall too far behind.

Do you teach with the question and answer flows with grammar?

Some of you may be aware of the question and answer flows from Shurley grammar. Though I used the same classification markings as Shurley does, I do not use the question and answer flows. Instead, I have them follow a very specific pattern for identifying words in the sentence. For example, the first thing they must do every time is to find the verb. So long as the verb isn't a linking verb, they ask who or what is doing the action of the verb. Then, we move to the front of the sentence and identify each word one at a time using the adverb questions (how, when, where, to what extent) and adjective questions (what kind, which one, how many, whose). Other parts of speech, such as prepositions, nouns acting as objects, conjunctions, an interjections, will become more easily identified as we move through the year.

How do we know if they have missed a homework assignment? Is there an app we use to track?

Though it may be nice if we had an app for tracking missing homework, that is not the case. I will print out missing homework pages and give it to your child from time to time, along with the worksheets if applicable. When I send these out, I will let you know.


Math Problems (The Whole Fourth Grade Curriculum Night Packet)


Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren