Skip to main content

Quarter 1, Week 2 Update

Greetings Families,

I hope everyone has had a great first week. It seems like the week has flown by. I'm so excited for this year. The students have been great this week. They talk a little bit too much at times, but I'm super talkative so I guess it makes sense. But I'm the kind of teacher who would rather have a class who loves school than a class who just sits quietly all day. I suppose there is a way to have both, but it is difficult to achieve.

Let me begin with next week's lessons, and then I'll hit on some other important things.


Lessons

History: In history, students will finish up their study of geography with a look at physical maps. There will be a brief time of review on Monday as students will take their first history test of the year on Tuesday. This test is open book, open notes, so there is no need to study. However, there is a study guide in the back of the history packet if students would like to complete it to support them on the test.

After completing the geography unit, students will move their attention to the largest unit of the year: Europe in the Middle Ages. Next week, their focus will be on the glory that was Rome and how it fell apart.

Math: On Monday, students will take their test over place value. Following the assessment, students will look at approximation/rounding. They will have an assessment on approximation on Friday.

Science: Now that students are starting to gain a simple understanding of the atom and atomic theory, they will now start to study the atom more carefully. They will be looking at the periodic table to understand elements, how to determine the number of protons, electrons, and neutrons based on an element atomic number and atomic mass. 

Spalding: Students will learn 10 new words next week and will then spend the week reviewing/learning cursive. Handwriting is an important part of grade school because it is one of the primary means of communication. Students who write illegibly will find it difficult

Poetry: During the poetry lessons this week, students went over the beautiful poem by Elma Stuckey, "Humanity." Students should be working toward memorization of the poem. During week three, students will be called to the front of the room to recite the poem. They will be graded on posture, expression, volume, eye contact, and most importantly memorization. I recommend that they study the poem most nights. The time spent should count toward their reading log time.
If I am blind and need someone
To keep me safe from harm,
It matters not the race to me
Of the one who takes my arm.
If I am saved from drowning
As I grasp and grope,
I will not stop to see the face
Of the one who throws the rope.
Or if out on some battlefield
I’m falling faint and weak,
The one who gently lifts me up
May any language speak.
We sip the water clear and cool,
No matter the hand that gives it.
A life that’s lived worthwhile and fine,
What matters the one who lives it?
Greek and Latin Roots: The class was introduced to Greek and Latin roots this week and make note cards for the first four: photos (light), graph (to write or draw), tele (far away, distant), and metron (measure). Next week, they will take a review check on these and learn the next three. (A review check is like a quiz but doesn't impact the grade as much as a quiz would. It is primarily a way to hold the students accountable to regularly study and review the roots.)

Writing/Grammar: This week, students spent their time looking at nouns. On Tuesday, they will be assessed on their knowledge of how to pluralize nouns and what constitutes a sentence. They had a homework assignment on this last night that we will review, grade, and return so students know what they need to work on. Following the assessment on Tuesday, they will look at diagramming "very" simple sentences.

Literature: In literature, students will read chapters 5-7. Students are expected to read and summarize each chapter of the literature books we read this year. If a child is absent, they should use their nightly reading time to read the chapter they missed and summarize it in their literature note-packet. 


Week 2 Schedule


  • Monday: Math Test - Place Value
  • Tuesday: Grammar Test - Nouns
  • Tuesday: History Test - Geography 
  • Friday: Math Test - Approximation/Rounding


Other Important Information

Literature Books: A number of students are still missing their literature book. The book we are currently reading is The Princess and the Goblin. Please send this boon in a quickly as possible. If you are not able to purchase the book, your child can check one out from the library. Please let me know if this is necessary.

Uniform: For the most parts, there weren't too many uniform issues. This week was sort of a grace period. Next week, if your child is out of uniform, they may receive a uniform infraction. This is simply a more formal way for me to tell you your child is not in uniform.

Snack: Starting this week, students are not allowed to eat candy, chips, or cookies during snack time. They may eat whatever you allow them to eat during lunch, but I want to keep snack nutritious. Also, please remember that your child cannot bring anything with nuts.

Homework / Missed Recess: Students who do not complete their homework will miss as much of their first recess as is necessary to complete the assignment. I am hoping this only happens occasionally. For students who are repeat offenders, they will have to call a parent to explain why they have not completed their homework assignment. I do not like taking recess is away, but it is about the only consequence I have to encourage homework completing. Of course, a poorer grade is a natural consequence of not completing homework.

Classroom Moms: I am happy to introduce Beth Gaddy and Melanie Bogren as the class moms for this year. I will be sharing your contact information with them, so don't be surprised if you see an email from them. Their emails are bethgaddy4@gmail.com (Ms. Gaddy) and MBogren@archwayarete.org (Ms. Bogren).

Tutoring: Students will take their first math on Monday. During the rest of week two, I will be collecting data to determine who will be invited to after school math tutoring. Because I can only offer two days of tutoring, but days will be committed to math. Students needing a reading intervention will receive that during the day. Students who are struggling with grammar, science, or history should see me before school or during recess.


Well, that is enough for now, though I'm sure there is more worth saying. If you need anything, again, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren