Dear Families,
Welcome to the 2019/2020 academic year at Archway Classical Academy Arete. My name is Michael Naaktgeboren, and I feel honored to introduce myself as your child’s fourth-grade teacher. Below is some information about me.
I was born in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. I moved to a small town in middle Tennessee when I was three. My middle and high schools years were spent mostly in Iowa and Ohio. When I was a senior in high school, my family made the decision to return to Tennessee where I graduated from high school in 2001.
I left for basic training a few months after high school as a member of the Tennessee Army National Guard. I started my college studies at a small community college but was postponed when the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment was deployed for Operation Iraqi Freedom III. Upon my return from duty, I moved to Kentucky to continue my pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
I attended Boyce College and in 2010 obtained my Bachelor of Arts in Biblical and Theological Studies. On the same day I graduated from college, I married my wife, Emily. The following year I began my pursuit towards a Master’s of Divinity. Near the end of 2012, my wife and I decided that my calling was not to serve in a church alone but to also seek to have a positive impact on the community. That led me to put my religious studies on hold and to turn my pursuit towards a Master’s of Education, which I completed in the spring of 2016 at Liberty University. I have since earned my Master’s of Arts in Religion with a focus in pastoral counseling.
In 2013, my first child, Karis, was born and my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. My mom’s condition led us to move to Mesa in 2014. We rejoice that my mom’s health was sustained for five years and she was able to spend time with all of our children before she passed away this past March. My second child, Jedidiah, was born in May of 2014, my third child, Ruth, was born in January of 2016, and my fourth child, Emet, but born in December of 2017.
This will be my sixth year as a lead teacher and my fourth in fourth grade. Arete’s commitment to a classical, liberal arts education that desires to nurture a love for intellectual and moral virtue has delighted my soul. I am very privileged and thankful for the opportunity to serve alongside an amazing staff and under excellent leadership. I am equally privileged and thankful to be given the opportunity to be your child’s teacher.
Please know that I am eager to become well acquainted with you and that I plan to keep an open line of communication regarding your child’s progress in my classroom. I encourage you to subscribe to my class blog at naakarete.blogspot.com. This will be where basic information about our class’s studies and events is communicated. You may email me anytime at mnaaktgeboren@archwayarete.org.
It is with great joy that I look forward to getting to know your child. The staff at Archway Arete is dedicated to providing our students with a rich, well-rounded, and noble education, which will guide them in using higher-order thinking to question, wonder, and explore the truths of our world. As a passionate student myself, I cannot express my enthusiasm toward being their leader on this exciting journey.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Families of 4B,
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Victoria Chilson. I previously worked for Archway Arete from 2015 until December 2018 in various roles. After spending some time with my family, it feels good to be back! The community at Archway Arete is one that is unlike any other and I am happy to be a part of it.
My family is very important to me! My husband Mike is a firefighter for the Scottsdale Fire Department. We will be married for 5 years this October. We have a 3-year-old daughter, Charlotte Isabella who is our whole world. In addition to Charlotte, our fur babies include Lou our Rhodesian Ridgeback and Harvey our Heeler/ Doeberman Pincher mix. When not working, I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking, going to sporting events and home decorating.
I am looking forward to getting to know your children and families as we begin the school year! It is an honor and privilege to be a part of the education and formation of your most prized possessions. Thank you for entrusting your children to me. Please reach out with any questions.
Warmly,
Victoria Chilson