Skip to main content

Quarter 4, Week 3 Update

Greetings Families,

I hope you have enjoyed your weekend. This week will be a busy week for your child as they will be taking two important tests this week. There is much in regard to the plans to discuss, so let me give you an idea of what each day will look like.

Monday

Students will start the week taking the AIMS Science test. This is an online test to gauge there scientific knowledge and scientific thinking. It is difficult to gauge how long this will take, but they should all be finished by lunch. Students will then spend time looking at the U.S. Consitution is history and then reviewing math and English.

Tuesday

Students will continue to look at the U.S. Constitution in the morning and then spend time reviewing math and English throughout the rest of the day.

Wednesday

Students will spend time looking at their essays from the prior week and review what they must do on the AzMERIT Writing test the next day. They will then review math and English.

Thursday

Students will start the day by taking the AzMERIT Writing test. This test presents some challenges because some students will go very quickly while others will take a long time depending on the amount of effort they give and academic challenges. It is likely that some students will spend a good deal of time sitting in their desk quietly waiting for their peers to finish. For AzMERIT days, students are allowed to bring pop-culture books and magazines. Students will also be allowed to work on Khan Academy once they are finished.

Friday

Once students are finished with writing, most of their attention will be directed toward mastering the few math concepts they need to learn, like time and units of measurement, and reviewing math and English. The encouraging thing has been seeing how often students are answering the review questions correctly. I'm sure the candy is playing a role in this, but their effort has been very good. They will also take an open-note test on chapters 1-5 of the U.S. Constitution unit.


Schedule

Monday: AIMS Science
Tuesday-Friday: Recitation of the Declaration of Independence
Wednesday: Greek and Latin Roots Review Check (79-81)
Wednesday: Math Quiz
Thursday: AzMERIT Writing
Friday: History Test - Open Notes


My Mom

I wanted to let everyone know that my mom passed away on Saturday morning around 4:30 a.m. The morning of her passing was good for our family as most of my local family was able to come to be with one another as the hospice nurse completed the paperwork and we waited on Science Care to come to take her body. I want to say thank you for how you have served me. I'm a very open person and I treat my students like family, so they knew that she would pass away soon. When I left on Friday, many of them probably rightly assumed that I left because she was going to pass away. If you would like to let them know, you may. I likely won't tell them until after they finish the AIMS Science test tomorrow.


Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren