I hope you are doing well and have enjoyed your break. I'm looking forward to getting to see you again this week during conferences. There are a number of things to address, so let me jump into it.
Tutoring and Clubs
There is no tutoring or clubs during conference week because very day if a half day.
Conferences
If you haven't signed up for conferences, please go to the blog post I sent out before here. On that former post, you will find the link for my SignUpGenuis and the one for the specialists.
Mechanical Pencils
As I promised the students, I will be allowing mechanical pencils starting this quarter. There are a few notes to make in respect to this though. First, they have to keep the privilege. If they start to become a problem, they will lose the opportunity to have them. Second, please don't send your child to school with expensive mechanical pencils. They often come up missing and possibly stolen. Unless your child's name is engraved on it, there is no way for me to say a pencil is one child's or another's. I recommend the cheapest ones you can find until they prove they can be responsible with them. Third, the largest lead that is okay is 0.9mm. I like the 1.3mm lead because it doesn't break, but it just to thick and leads to poor legibility. Last, they are not required. Your child can continue to use regular wood pencils. This is just a privilege I allow because many students like to use them over traditional pencils. I prefer them as well.
Google Calendar
I've set up the Google calendar for the second quarter. To the best of my ability, I've scheduled all of the tests and quizzes for the quarter. I cannot guarantee that they won't move, but I'll let you know if any of the dates need to be changed. Also, I've included study questions for all of the history and science quizzes so you can help your child prepare.
I've also created the schedule for the Europe project presentations. They are scheduled for Tuesday, November 13 and Wednesday, November 14. If you go to the calendar and click on the link, you can see what time your child is presenting. I'm hoping that by giving this much heads up, many families will be able to attend.
Math Nightly Review Worksheets
During the recent coffee conversations, some families said it would be helpful if a copy of the nightly review worksheets could be provided. I've placed it on the blog under the "Resources" tab. Then, at the bottom of the math section are the links for each packet. Hopefully, this will be helpful if your child loses or forgets their homework.
- Nightly Review Homework
If you look at the Google calendar, you will also see that I've put on the calendar what day each review worksheet is assigned. Because these are all review worksheets, students should have already mastered or be working toward mastery of the content. If your child is very confused by the worksheet and cannot figure it out with just a little support, please write on the worksheet that your child was not able to complete the worksheet independently or with minimal support.
Europe Project
Here are some examples of past Europe project poster boards. Your child's poster doesn't need to look like this, but I wanted to give you an idea of what some good ones have looked like. You will notice that the Norway flag is incorporated into the poster board while the Netherlands' flag is just glued to the board. The flag could also be on a separate poster or piece of paper to be hung from the whiteboard. (Click on the images to enlarge them.)


Another thing to keep in mind is that I told the students that I would permit PowerPoint presentations for their project presentations. If this is the plan, please have it sent to me by Wednesday or Thursday of week 4 so I can make sure it works and that there aren't any formatting issues.
I've also had a few questions about what is due. Let me briefly discuss that now.
Three-Paragraph Essay: The three-paragraph essay is due on the Tuesday of week five (November 13). The essay should be three paragraphs long and should be on the topics your child researched. It isn't meant to be exhaustive. It should just be about what your child found important or interesting. This should not be glued to the poster or read aloud by your child during the presentation. This essay should be typed.
Reflection Essay: This one-paragraph essay should be about your child's experience with the project. It is due on Tuesday, November 13. He or she should write about what he or she liked, didn't like, would do again, wouldn't do again, expected, or didn't expect. The real purpose of this short essay is to help them think about the process of the project itself so they are better prepared for future projects. This essay should be typed.
Project Research Packet: The project research packet is due on Tuesday, November 13. This is the packet that your child should have most filled out by now with the information they have found in books or on the web. Not every blank needs to be completed, but it should be mostly completed. It should also be legible and correctly formatted.
Tri-Fold Poster: Students should bring their poster to school on the day of their presentation. The schedule is on the Google Calendar.
Visual (Architecture, Dress, or Food): Students should bring their visual aid on the day their presentation is due. If it is a food, please provide a complete list of every ingredient.
In the past, most students have done well on the essays and poster boards. Where many students fail to perform well is on the presentation. Students should not read their essay or be turned around looking at the board the whole time. The students are expected to give a speech, mostly from memory, for 3-5 minutes. This should be something they practiced a few times before they come to class. I recommend index cards to give them hints or for specific information that would be hard to memorize (e.g., the population, names of different people groups or major religions, etc.)
Lessons
Grammar/Writing: No grammar and writing this week because of half days.
History: In history this week, the students will take a closer look at the death of Thomas Becket and discuss who was at fault for this death. They will then look at the character of Henry II and Becket. They will end the week learning about Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Literature: Students will finish listening to The Princess and Curdie read aloud (well, audiobook actually). We may make it to Robin Hood by the end of the week. Please have them bring the book in by Tuesday or Wednesday just in case.
Math: Students will begin the week with a review of what they learned during the first quarter and will be given the Units 1-2 Cumulative Test on Wednesday. They will then begin their study of fractions. The study of fractions during the second quarter is usually the most difficult season of math for them. Please help your child by keeping a close eye on tests that are being returned to make sure they are staying on track.
If your child is having a hard time, here is the link to the Khan Academy 4th grade fractions unit. It may not have a video for everything they will learn, but it is a good place to start.
Greek and Latin Roots: Students will learn the next four: numbers 51-54. There is no review check this week.
Science: Students will continue their study of life science with a focus on animals. This week they will look at population, natural selection, and animal adaptations. There is a science quiz on Tuesday. Here are some things they should look to study for that quiz:
1. What are the six characteristics of a living thing?
2. What are the four things that all living things need?
3. List the levels of classification taxonomy.
4 - 5. Be able to identify the Genus and species of an organism.
6. What is an animal?
7. Know the difference between vertebrates and invertebrates.
8. Be able to label the four major parts of a plant.
9. Be able to label the 11 parts of a flower.
Spalding: No Spalding due to conferences.
Test Schedule
Wednesday: Math Test - Units 1-2 Cumulative Test
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If you are thinking it, you likely aren't the only one.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
Test Schedule
Wednesday: Math Test - Units 1-2 Cumulative Test
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. If you are thinking it, you likely aren't the only one.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren