Greetings Families,
On Friday, the students began their first major writing assignment. They are writing an opinion essay on why they think school days should be longer or the same. I look forward to reading their thoughts on the matter.
Also on Friday, I spoke with the students on what to expect in terms of their grade. Having seen some of the writing being produced on weekly reading reports, literature and science summaries, and on science and history quizzes, I expect a number of students to do very poorly on their first papers, and likely some of the papers to follow. I shared with them a personal story that I would like to take some time to share with you because I think it was encouraging to them and hopefully will be to you.
When I was in elementary school, I was diagnosed with ADD and received special education for reading. Though I was reasonably good at math, I could not read. Part of this was due to poor reading instruction and no phonics training. I quickly developed a set mindset. I just thought I was "smart" in math and "dumb" in reading. This continued through my middle and high school days. When I graduated high school I probably read somewhere around 5th- or 6th-grade level. Reading is still something I'm not very strong at, which is why I always have my assistant lead literature so the reading is more enjoyable for the students. I read slowly, I have to reread things occasionally, and I don't always remember small details in the reading.
Due to my poor reading ability, I never had much love for words. I talked a lot, but I never wrote much. My spelling was terribly poor. The only thing that has helped that has been my teaching Spalding. That is why when I entered English 101 at a community college, I received an F on my first college paper. However, the teacher did a good job of helping me little by little. In time, I started to have a better command of the English language. Growing up in Tennessee, grammar isn't something you pick up from speaking. I had to learn a lot of things I never learned in school and my college professor helped guide me. At the end of the class, I had to write a paper in class without the support of Microsoft Word and I got a B-. There was a huge improvement, but I still wasn't a good writer.
Eventually, I entered the college from which I graduated. At that school, I studied religion. That meant all I did was read and write papers. I still look back at some of those early papers and cringe. Though I wasn't an F writer anymore, I was still below average. However, I kept reading and writing. After four years at my college, I went on to spend some time in seminary and then grad school. Toward the end of my grad degree, I received an email that surprised me. I was being asked to work as a writing coach. The one who got an F on his first college paper was now being asked to be a writing coach for college students.
What I stressed to the students was that it didn't happen overnight. I graduated high school when I was 18 years old. I was asked to be a writing coach with I was 32 years old. It took me 14 years to become a reasonably competent writer. But, because I paid attention to detail and gave my best effort, over time I learned to do something I didn't think I'd be able to do.
Some of you may not be pleased with the grade your child receives on his or her papers this year. Every year, there are some students who never get above a C on a paper because there are just too many skills they have not mastered. I told my students it isn't the grade that matters, but if they are getting better. I'm not looking for mastery, but growth. Some of my students might be like me and it might take them 14 years to get there. What matters is that they get there, not when.
Thus, I ask for you to encourage your child to do his or her best. They need encouragement because receiving bad grades can be so discouraging. I know from personal experience. I also ask you to go over his or her papers with him or her to help him or her figure things out. I will be doing this, but I can only contribute so much to 30 students. Often times my efforts have to be focused on the lowest writers. You going over the papers when I send them home will help your child immensely.
Thank you for your support.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
On Friday, the students began their first major writing assignment. They are writing an opinion essay on why they think school days should be longer or the same. I look forward to reading their thoughts on the matter.
Also on Friday, I spoke with the students on what to expect in terms of their grade. Having seen some of the writing being produced on weekly reading reports, literature and science summaries, and on science and history quizzes, I expect a number of students to do very poorly on their first papers, and likely some of the papers to follow. I shared with them a personal story that I would like to take some time to share with you because I think it was encouraging to them and hopefully will be to you.
When I was in elementary school, I was diagnosed with ADD and received special education for reading. Though I was reasonably good at math, I could not read. Part of this was due to poor reading instruction and no phonics training. I quickly developed a set mindset. I just thought I was "smart" in math and "dumb" in reading. This continued through my middle and high school days. When I graduated high school I probably read somewhere around 5th- or 6th-grade level. Reading is still something I'm not very strong at, which is why I always have my assistant lead literature so the reading is more enjoyable for the students. I read slowly, I have to reread things occasionally, and I don't always remember small details in the reading.
Due to my poor reading ability, I never had much love for words. I talked a lot, but I never wrote much. My spelling was terribly poor. The only thing that has helped that has been my teaching Spalding. That is why when I entered English 101 at a community college, I received an F on my first college paper. However, the teacher did a good job of helping me little by little. In time, I started to have a better command of the English language. Growing up in Tennessee, grammar isn't something you pick up from speaking. I had to learn a lot of things I never learned in school and my college professor helped guide me. At the end of the class, I had to write a paper in class without the support of Microsoft Word and I got a B-. There was a huge improvement, but I still wasn't a good writer.
Eventually, I entered the college from which I graduated. At that school, I studied religion. That meant all I did was read and write papers. I still look back at some of those early papers and cringe. Though I wasn't an F writer anymore, I was still below average. However, I kept reading and writing. After four years at my college, I went on to spend some time in seminary and then grad school. Toward the end of my grad degree, I received an email that surprised me. I was being asked to work as a writing coach. The one who got an F on his first college paper was now being asked to be a writing coach for college students.
What I stressed to the students was that it didn't happen overnight. I graduated high school when I was 18 years old. I was asked to be a writing coach with I was 32 years old. It took me 14 years to become a reasonably competent writer. But, because I paid attention to detail and gave my best effort, over time I learned to do something I didn't think I'd be able to do.
Some of you may not be pleased with the grade your child receives on his or her papers this year. Every year, there are some students who never get above a C on a paper because there are just too many skills they have not mastered. I told my students it isn't the grade that matters, but if they are getting better. I'm not looking for mastery, but growth. Some of my students might be like me and it might take them 14 years to get there. What matters is that they get there, not when.
Thus, I ask for you to encourage your child to do his or her best. They need encouragement because receiving bad grades can be so discouraging. I know from personal experience. I also ask you to go over his or her papers with him or her to help him or her figure things out. I will be doing this, but I can only contribute so much to 30 students. Often times my efforts have to be focused on the lowest writers. You going over the papers when I send them home will help your child immensely.
Thank you for your support.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren