Skip to main content

Returning Quizzes: August 14, 2017

Greetings Families,

I'm returning the first group of quizzes to you today via your child's take home folder. Here are the quizzes I'm sending home along with some data.

Subject: Assessment (Class Average)

Math: Place Value Quiz (93%)

Math: U1Ch2 Place Value Quiz (75%)

History: Map Quiz 1 (70%)

Comments Regarding Quiz Grades

I believe the students underperformed on the history quiz because they are not accustomed to taking regular quizzes. What I am seeing thus are is a lot of students looking around the classroom, playing in their desks, or just being distracted. Part of this is due to the return to school from a long summer break. They just are mentally prepared to be engaged in the lessons as they should be. Don't let this be stressful to you yet. It takes time for them to find their form. They also haven't been expected to perform at this high of a level before. That is one reason for the regular quizzes. They will learn that they always have to be paying attention in class because they are going to be quizzed on this information soon. This is a growing time, so encourage your child but don't feel like it is "do or die" quite yet. 

On the math quizzes, there is some correlation between the first place value quiz they took Friday and today's Unit 1 Chapter 1 quiz. No student who did poorly on the first quiz did well on today's quiz. What that means is that students, even after realizing that they aren't performing well, aren't finding out what they did wrong to correct it. Again, this is something new for them. They aren't used to being responsible for their own learning. For most of them, this will come in time. For those who continue to struggle, they will need to start attending tutoring on Monday and Wednesday starting next week (Week 3).

I would also like for you to go over the quizzes with your child because I do not have time to sit down with each child. One thing I noticed on some student's quizzes were "silly" mistakes (such as miss adding or multiplying) or students who didn't show any work. The quiz was actually supposed to be done mentally, so I didn't tell them to show their work. However, students can always show their work on the tests.


Thank you for your support.

Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren