Greetings Families,
Before I tell you about what your children will be learning this week, let me begin by saying thank you for your great generosity. I was overwhelmed by the kind gifts from your children and you this past week. What I loved most was the thoughtfulness of gifts. Your children and you considered my likes and wants and gave accordingly. They weren't just random gifts, but they show how well my students know me. Though I am their teacher and they are my students, they have also become my friends who care about me as I care about them. To me, that was the most special thing last week.
Here are the lessons for next week.
Language Arts: This week in literature, students will complete the reading of The Wizard of Oz, and take part in a viewing of the movie. This will tie into a writing project wherein the students will compare the movie to the book. In Spalding, there will be words and markings.
5/8, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 3 Quiz - Dividing Measures
Before I tell you about what your children will be learning this week, let me begin by saying thank you for your great generosity. I was overwhelmed by the kind gifts from your children and you this past week. What I loved most was the thoughtfulness of gifts. Your children and you considered my likes and wants and gave accordingly. They weren't just random gifts, but they show how well my students know me. Though I am their teacher and they are my students, they have also become my friends who care about me as I care about them. To me, that was the most special thing last week.
Here are the lessons for next week.
Lessons
Language Arts: This week in literature, students will complete the reading of The Wizard of Oz, and take part in a viewing of the movie. This will tie into a writing project wherein the students will compare the movie to the book. In Spalding, there will be words and markings.
Math: In math this week, students will continue to review units of measurement. In addition to what they learned last year, this year they will look at how to find the volume of shapes, including rectangular prisms. To find the area of a rectangle, which students did earlier, they used the formula length times width (l * w). To find the volume of a rectangular prism, students will us the formula length times width times depth (l * w * d).
Science: Last week, students were introduced to the respiratory system. This week, students will continue that study. They will begin by looking at a diagram of the whole respiratory system and then will discuss how diffusion plays a role in transferring oxygen to the blood stream and how it allows the body to expel the waste product carbon dioxide. They will also look at inhalation and exhalation and respiratory health concerns.
History: In history, students will finish their study of early presidents and will prepare for the assessment scheduled for Thursday. I will have student highlight what they need to know for the final in their study packets.
Important Dates
5/8, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 3 Quiz - Dividing Measures
5/11, History: Early Presidents Test
5/12, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 4 Quiz - Cubic Units
5/12, Langauge Arts: Spalding Quiz
5/16, MAP
5/17, Greek and Latin Roots Exam - Roots 1-100
5/18, Science: Respiratory System Test
5/18, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 5 Quiz - Volume of Rectangular Prisms
5/19, Math: Unit 11 - Cumulative Assessment
5/19, Langauge Arts, Spalding Quiz
5/19, Language Arts: Grammar Test
5/19, Final Day of Clubs
5/24, Half Day
5/25, Half Day
5/26, Half Day & Last Day of School
5/12, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 4 Quiz - Cubic Units
5/12, Langauge Arts: Spalding Quiz
5/16, MAP
5/17, Greek and Latin Roots Exam - Roots 1-100
5/18, Science: Respiratory System Test
5/18, Math: Unit 11, Chapter 5 Quiz - Volume of Rectangular Prisms
5/19, Math: Unit 11 - Cumulative Assessment
5/19, Langauge Arts, Spalding Quiz
5/19, Language Arts: Grammar Test
5/19, Final Day of Clubs
5/24, Half Day
5/25, Half Day
5/26, Half Day & Last Day of School
I hope you have a great week. Please let me know if you need anything.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren