Skip to main content

Quarter 4, Week 10 Lessons

Greetings Families,

It is hard to believe we have come to the final week of school. This is one of those strange weeks for me personally, as I'm happy for the break to arrive. My wife and I are already mapping out some summer camping plans and I'm looking forward to having a little more time to work on my graduate studies. At the same time, I know that with summer break comes the end of my time with this class. Over the past year, and past two years for some, my heart has grown very fond of my students. It will pain me to see them depart me to go off to another class. However, at the same time, I look forward with joyful anticipation. On Wednesday night, I will get to see my first group of Arete students graduate from the Archway and go off to the Prep. It will be a night of joy because, in some small way, I played a role in their growth as students and as individuals. In like manner, I am excited to see my current students depart from me to go to fifth grade and this time next year, prepare for fifth-grade graduation themselves. Thus, this week comes with excitement, sadness, and joyful anticipation for me.

I've said it a few times this year, but let me repeat my thankfulness to you for allowing me to be your child's teacher. It has been my privilege to join you in your efforts in raising your child. When I look at your child, the way he comes to school each morning, the excitement she has when she goes home each night, how he completes his homework almost every night, and how she tells me about what she did on the weekend, it is evident that you love your child. It is obvious that you have made sacrifice after sacrifice to do what is best for your child. No longer are you primarily concerned with what you want to do or what you need, but your love compels you to serve another as more important than yourself. The fact that you have permitted me to care for your child for hour after hour every day for so many weeks is humbling to me. Thank you for letting me be the teacher of the one you cherish more than your own life.


Here are the lessons for the last week of school.


Lessons

History: In history, the students will complete their readers' theaters on the early presidents and some of the important events during their time. 

Language Arts: The students will take their final language arts quiz of the year. Though this quiz will function as an assessment of their knowledge of Rip Van Winkle, it will be graded as a literature assignment. Literature for the rest of the week will be a selection of Grimm stories. The plan is to do some Spalding words, but there will be no assessment this week. 

Science: Students took the respiratory unit test last week and started their healthy lifestyles packets. These packets will compile some of the things the students learned during our study of the cardiovascular and circulatory units. They will discuss foods to eat and foods to eat in moderation. It will have a section on exercise and a section on habits that should be avoided or only used in moderation (smoking and alcohol use). 

Math:  In math, students will start their final unit of study. The unit will focus on congruent figures, shapes that tessellate, and lines of symmetry. There will be some practice tests sent home as homework, but there will be assessments on this unit.


Important Dates

5/24, Half Day
5/25, Half Day
5/26, Half Day & Last Day of School


Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren