Skip to main content

Quarter 2, Week 4 Lessons

Greetings Families,

I hope you are enjoying your weekend. After enjoying my daughters 8 a.m. soccer game, I was able to enjoy the rest of my day reading for and taking a quiz. Though, I did have some time to watch football, so that was relaxing.

Don't forget that this is a short week, as Friday is Veteran's Day. Also, I will be a little short handed this week, so please forgive me if I fall behind in grading. Ms. Maguire has been asked to teach 5B as Ms. Stapleton will be out all week for professional development. I should have some support from the other 4th grade assistances, but most of the work will be on my hands this week. If there are any parents who would like to help me cover lunch or recess, feel free to email me. However, don't be alarmed. I have a great class and I don't expect there to be any real challenges other than things not being graded as quickly.

Here are the lessons for this week.


Lessons

Language Arts: This week in language arts, students will work on perfecting the descriptive essay. In literature, students will continue with the adventures of Robin Hood and the band of merry men. In Spalding, there will be words and markings.

History: This week in history, students will close out the Middle Ages unit with the study of Joan of Arc and relevant literature, as well as learning about the Black Death and the role it played in Europe toward the end of the Middle Ages. Students will take a test next week on chapters 17-21, for which they have the study guides. Please note that this test is largely composed of short-answer questions. Students should be prepared to explain concepts we discuss in class and on the study guides. Furthermore, correct, but insufficient answers will not receive full credit.

Science: During the fourth week of the second quarter, students will learn more about Arizona regions, biomes, plants, and animals. This information will be useful for the project due on November 16. Students will review for the life sciences unit test on Wednesday and be tested on Thursday. I will do my best to have the Quizlet ready by Tuesday night.  

Math: In math this week, students will continue their working with mixed and improper fractions. There will be a review day on Wednesday and the assessment is on Thursday. If your child is having difficulties with these lessons, here is a video on how to convert improper fractions to a mixed number and how to convert a mixed number into an improper fraction. In addition, here is an online activity where they can practice converting improper fractions to mixed numbers. The activity will tell them if they get it correct or not.


Assessment Schedule

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - Math Test: Mixed and Improper Fractions
Thursday, November 10, 2016 - Science Test: Life Sciences
Thursday, November 10, 2016 - Spalding Assessment
Monday, November 14, 2016 - History Test
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - Grammar Test
Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - Arizona Ecosystem Model Due
Friday, November 18, 2016 - Math Test: Fractions of a Set and a Whole Number Times a Fraction
Friday, November 18, 2016 - Spalding Assessment


Items Sent Home on Friday

Subject and Type: Content (Class Average)
Science Quiz: Interpreting a Graph and Life Sciences (68%)
Math Test: Unit 3 Ch. 1 and 2 (74%)
Grammar Homework: Ch. 3 Checkup 16 A - Prepositions (78%)
Grammar Test: Ch. 3 - Prepositions (90%) [Three students got a 65/65!]
Spalding Test (91%) [Twenty-three students received an A or A-!]
Phonogram Test (93%) [Sixteen students had a 100% and eight students only missed one!]

I hope you enjoy the last few minutes of your weekend. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me.


Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren