Skip to main content

Quarter 1, Week 3 Lessons and Curriculum Night Invitation

Greetings Families,

The second week has come to an end the a period of rest has been given. I wanted to let you know that I am very pleased with the progress the class is making. They are still a little chatty, but overall the behavior has been good and we are working out some of the chattiness. I just emailed you a little bit ago, and though it was a lengthy email, I do ask that you read through it. It will hopefully calm some of the fears you are having and will given bette focus to the work we have before us as the year progress. You can find a copy of the email here

The virtue of the month is responsibility, which works out well as many students loose some of their "school" responsibility over the summer. One area I would like to see improvement in next week is homework being completed on time and all school items returned daily. Please ask your child if they have completed their homework and if they've put all of their items back in their backpack. I believe it is the student's responsibility to do their work and to return their items. Therefore, statements such as, "My mom didn't put it in my bag," or "She took it out of my bag and didn't put it back" are not worthy excuses. It is their responsibility to check their bags to make sure they have everything they need. I also suggest to them, though I haven't spoken at length about this this year, that they always do their homework next to their backpacks and that they always put their stuff in the backpacks when they are finished or if they are transitioning. Thinks are more likely to get lost or forgotten if the backpack is in the bedroom, the math homework in on the kitchen table, and The Princess and the Goblin is on the couch. If student keep all of their items together and always put them where they go when they are finished, they will be better at having what they need. Now, I'm not perfect and I don't expect perfection from them, but we aspire to the virtue of responsibility and when we mess up and forget something, we learn to take responsibility for our actions and how to receive the consequence gladly, knowing that the consequence is there to teach us to be responsible. 


Here are the lessons for the week:

History: Students just wrapped up the unit on using maps. This week, they will begin studying Europe. They will create their own maps of the countries and waterways. These will be memorized. We enter our study of Europe in the Middle Ages. This is a major unit of history. Studies begin at the fall of the Roman Empire. Students will explore the Dark Ages.


Science: Students will continue the study of chemistry. Having arrived at an understanding of the periodic table, students will now consider what happens when different elements mix. The latter part of the week will be spent reviewing for the upcoming test. Students should study their notebooks, pages 1-11, in preparation for this assessment.


Language Arts: Spalding phonics continues. In grammar, students will master the noun and verb, and begin classifying and diagramming sentences. In Literature, they go deeper into the mines with Curdie and Princess Irene. This week, students discuss characterization.

Math: Students will begin a unit on multiples and factors. There will be nightly homework, and much work dedicated to the multiplication tables.



CURRICULUM NIGHT
THIS WEDNESDAY
August 24, 2016

You are cordially invited to our Curriculum Night event, taking place on Wednesday, August 24th. The event begins at 6:00 p.m., with opening remarks from Headmaster Gillingham, in the Marley Gymnasium at Arete Prep. The purpose of this event is to acquaint you with the school's curriculum, and individual classroom procedures. You will have an opportunity to ask questions of your child’s teacher. Please note, that this is a parent only event. I look forward to seeing you all at this event.


Curriculum Night Schedule

6:00-6:25: Welcome and opening remarks by Mr. Gillingham, Ms. Mason, and Ms. Pantalena

This is a schedule for where you go:

LAST NAME
6:30-7:10
7:15-7:55
A-L
Mr. Naaktgeboren's Room
Specials in MPR
M-Z
Specials in MPR
Mr. Naaktgeboren's

I hope you enjoy your weekend.

Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren