Greetings Families,
It has been a joy having your child in my class for the first two days. Yesterday seemed a little sluggish as we were largely focusing on procedures and rules, but today we actually got to do some learning and it was a joy. I especially enjoyed having the opportunity to read to them at the end of the day.
Speaking of reading to them, a number of the students did not have their copy of The Princess and the Goblin. If you are choosing not to purchase that book, please let me know. They are free to keep the school copy for as long as they need. If we have already talked about the book, don't feel like you need to send me another email.
I also wanted to pass along some exciting news, at least I think it is exciting. Last night they had to write two sentences about maps from prior knowledge. The answers they gave where impressive and I am happy to see the stuff we taught last year has stuck. Furthermore, today, every single student turned in their homework. I am so pleased that I am giving them an extra five minutes of snack time tomorrow. Now, if they do it everyday, I'm not sure I can continue to do that. But I hope my sign of good will toward them will encourage them to continue their terrific effort.
One last note, a few students showed up to school late today. I know traffic is probably moving a little slowly and I am showing grace for the first week. However, students who are not in their seats and ready to learn at 7:50 when the bell rings will be counted tardy. This tardy will not be counted by the school necessarily, but will be included in my grade book and will negatively impact their participation grade. I would suggest that your student be dropped off each morning by at least 7:40 a.m. This will ensure him or her enough time to unpack, turn in work it, sharpen pencils, use the restroom, and be in his or her seat and ready to learn. I start teaching when the bell rings and their is morning work for students who get to school early. Students can arrive as early as 7:20 a.m. and it would be great to have them here as close to that as possible.
Thank you for your support. I love my new class. They are a great bunch and I look forward to a great year of learning and growing in virtue.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren
It has been a joy having your child in my class for the first two days. Yesterday seemed a little sluggish as we were largely focusing on procedures and rules, but today we actually got to do some learning and it was a joy. I especially enjoyed having the opportunity to read to them at the end of the day.
Speaking of reading to them, a number of the students did not have their copy of The Princess and the Goblin. If you are choosing not to purchase that book, please let me know. They are free to keep the school copy for as long as they need. If we have already talked about the book, don't feel like you need to send me another email.
I also wanted to pass along some exciting news, at least I think it is exciting. Last night they had to write two sentences about maps from prior knowledge. The answers they gave where impressive and I am happy to see the stuff we taught last year has stuck. Furthermore, today, every single student turned in their homework. I am so pleased that I am giving them an extra five minutes of snack time tomorrow. Now, if they do it everyday, I'm not sure I can continue to do that. But I hope my sign of good will toward them will encourage them to continue their terrific effort.
One last note, a few students showed up to school late today. I know traffic is probably moving a little slowly and I am showing grace for the first week. However, students who are not in their seats and ready to learn at 7:50 when the bell rings will be counted tardy. This tardy will not be counted by the school necessarily, but will be included in my grade book and will negatively impact their participation grade. I would suggest that your student be dropped off each morning by at least 7:40 a.m. This will ensure him or her enough time to unpack, turn in work it, sharpen pencils, use the restroom, and be in his or her seat and ready to learn. I start teaching when the bell rings and their is morning work for students who get to school early. Students can arrive as early as 7:20 a.m. and it would be great to have them here as close to that as possible.
Thank you for your support. I love my new class. They are a great bunch and I look forward to a great year of learning and growing in virtue.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren