Greetings Families,
As we move into week six, the math test on Monday is the biggest things students should be preparing for. In a previous post I suggested that your help your child prepare for the test using Ms. Caro's solutions. You can find her solutions here. As important as it is that students know how to solve word problems using bar models, it is equally important that they know their math facts for 1-7, and 10. There are a number of apps that can be used to help with this: iPad and Android (I have not used all of these apps, and no app should be used by a child without a parent previewing it first).
We also have the Winter Concert coming up this week. Please be sure to note the dress code for this event. It is also off campus, which is a change. To allow students to focus on the concert, students will not have homework on Wednesday.
I want to say thank you to all of the parents who have provided items for our classroom. We are currently set on tissue and hand sanitizer, but I have a new request to make. We are starting to run low on dry erase markers. I do not have a preference on brand, but Crayola Washable Dry Erase Markers do not erase very easily. So, I would prefer that you not provide these.
As we move into week six, the math test on Monday is the biggest things students should be preparing for. In a previous post I suggested that your help your child prepare for the test using Ms. Caro's solutions. You can find her solutions here. As important as it is that students know how to solve word problems using bar models, it is equally important that they know their math facts for 1-7, and 10. There are a number of apps that can be used to help with this: iPad and Android (I have not used all of these apps, and no app should be used by a child without a parent previewing it first).
We also have the Winter Concert coming up this week. Please be sure to note the dress code for this event. It is also off campus, which is a change. To allow students to focus on the concert, students will not have homework on Wednesday.
I want to say thank you to all of the parents who have provided items for our classroom. We are currently set on tissue and hand sanitizer, but I have a new request to make. We are starting to run low on dry erase markers. I do not have a preference on brand, but Crayola Washable Dry Erase Markers do not erase very easily. So, I would prefer that you not provide these.
Assessments at a Glance
Monday - Math Test (Multiplication, Division, and Word Problems with a Focus on 6 & 7)
Friday - Spelling Test & Literature Quiz
Language Arts
In Spalding we will have our usual 30 spelling words. Literature class will give further consideration of Pinocchio, who is starting to make some better choices at this point in the book! In grammar we are classifying sentences with prepositional phrases and continuing our jingle practice. In writing we will be learning about ancient China and creating 3 sentence summaries.
Math
We will be placing focus on multiplication and division with 8s.
History
Our trip to ancient Rome continues with an in depth look at Julius Caesar and how he impacted the Roman empire. We will also read about Cleopatra.
Science
We will look at the human hand and discuss flexibility and stamina as it relates to muscles.
Thank you for your efforts and allowing me to be your child's teacher. It is a privilege for which I am especially thankful. If you ever need my support, please do not hesitate to let me know. My goal is to serve you in your noble work of raising a child who be a leader in tomorrow's world.
Best,
Michael Naaktgeboren