Skip to main content

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" Lecture and the Classroom Celebration

Greetings Families,

One of the things I love most about Great Hearts is their commitment to teachers’ professional development. This doesn’t only apply to classroom management or pragmatic practices in teaching, but also helping teachers grow as life long learners committed to pursuing true, goodness, and beauty.  One of the best opportunities I had last year was going to a lecture/seminar by a professor from the University of Virginia. He discussed Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book in a way I would have never considered it and it was a real benefit when it came to classroom discussions.

This year, the professor is returning to lecture on the Narnia series, which will include The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, one of our core literature selections. The sad aspect is that it is this Thursday, the day of our Little House on the Prairie classroom celebration. I hate that I have to miss this important class time, as it is a wonderful time for me to see students interact in with their friends and family in a non-academic time and for you to see your child interact with his or her peers and me, yet, I think for the sake of my own development as a teacher and for the sake of your child’s learning, it is best for me to receive this important training.

The celebration will go on as planned. Mrs. Geyer will serve as my substitute in leading the celebration, but will be dependent on the leadership of the volunteers who are present. I will give a map and plan for how the celebration is to go, including classroom setup, activities, and eating. There are currently some items that still need to be supplied. It may be wise to pack your child a light lunch incase their isn’t enough food to everyone to get full at the celebration.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Mrs. Geyer, the classroom parents, or me. Thank you for your understanding regarding my absence.

Best,

Michael Naaktgeboren