Skip to main content

Thank You & Quarter 3, Week 1 Lessons

Greetings Parents,

Ms. Miller and I would like to thank you for your kind gifts. Your kindness and generosity is truly remarkable. It warms my heart to consider the sacrifices you have made on out behalf. Though my heart is gladdened by your gifts, I have greater joy in the grace you give by allowing me to be your child’s teacher. It is a truly remarkable act of charity and trust. As the father of a growing daughter, my heart is made more and more aware of the tremendous confidence you have placed in me. I do not take that lightly. So, thank you! You are wonderful people and I’m blessed to have you as parents of my students.

I hope your break has been enjoyable and restful. The break was a blessing for my family as we have now moved in, mostly, to our new home and celebrated Christmas with family. Yet, I am ready to be back with my students. Two weeks seems short, but I have grown fond of them and have begun to miss them. I hope that they are prepared to return.

Here are the lessons for the upcoming week.

Math

Before we left for break, we were beginning our study of data. The students were learning how to interpret and present data. As we begin our new semester, we are continuing that study. The students will be looking at how to collect data, present it, and finding probability.

Language Arts

Idiom: “A feather in your cap”

Poem: “Some One,” by Walter de la Mare

Spalding: Students will learn how to spell 30 new words and review phonograms.

Literature: We begin our new book this quarter, “TheLittle Prince.” It is a great story and I highly encourage you to talk to your child about it as we read though it. If your child has not brought the book in, please have him or her do so quickly.

Writing: The students will continue to refine their skills or summarizing and copying from dictation. The students will also be writing almost everything in cursive from now on. Please look over their Spalding assignments each night to ensure they are forming their letters correctly.

Grammar: The students began to understand the use of commas before the break and they will continue to refine their knowledge of how to use them. They will also be introduced to contractions.


History

Be begin this quarter by studying a lost jewel in Western history, the Vikings. Thankfully for us, Core Knowledge makes it a focus. Most Europeans, because of their disregard for Christian customs, considered the Vikings barbarians, but they really were a remarkable people. If you have never studied them, I would encourage you to dialogue with your child about them and prepare to be amazed. You could also have them bring their notebooks home and get in some nightly reading after you put the kids to bed. Just remember to put their notebooks back in their backpacks.

Science

In science we continue our study of the human body and introduce sound. This week, we will be looking at sound in particular. We will discuss why some sounds are high-pitched and others low-pitched or why some sounds are loud and others quiet.


I hope everyone has a great week.

Best,

Michael Naaktgeboren