Skip to main content

Clarifications for the Marionette Project

Greetings,

There have been a few questions about the Pinocchio final projecting and the virtue essay. Instead of emailing individuals one by one, I thought it might be more helpful to address some of the concerns all together.

-----------------------------------------

Number of body parts and the nine virtues

When making the marionette, you will find that there are not enough body parts for the nine virtues. However, it does not need to be a strict one to one for this project. For example, you could have the head stand for wisdom while the mouth stands for honesty. One hand could stand for friendship while the other stands for citizenship.

Length of the essay

The length of the essay is pretty flexible. The instructions note that you need at least one sentence explaining why a specific body part represents a certain virtue. If necessary, you may use more. A one sentence example is given in the instructions on the first page. Another example might be,
For the virtue of wisdom I chose the head. I chose the head because the virtue of wisdom means to know, and then act. It is important to think with the mind and know what is good before you do something.
It is obvious that an essay using the example above will be much longer than if only once sentence is used, but what is important is that the statement is clear and makes since. A bad sentences would be,
I chose the hand for friendship.
This is a bad sentence because it does not give any information on why the hand is for friendship.

-----------------------------------------

I hope this has been helpful. Please email me if you have concerns.


Best,

Michael Naaktgeboren