Skip to main content

Vertical Division

Greetings parents,

Today, we began our study of vertical division, or long division as many call it, with remainders. Many of the students caught on quickly, especially those with strong multiplication facts skills. However, many of the students were confused by the process. Sadly, the day is only so long and we must move on to other content.

Tonight, your child will have math problems requiring vertical division, but they may not have mastered the concept. That is okay, because math homework is meant to serve as a time to practice, not demonstrate mastery. I ask you to check your child's work to ensure that they are doing it correctly. I do not want him or her to practice bad habits tonight that will hinder him or her from moving forward. Many of them might need you to sit down beside them and help them.

That being said, I know many of you probably haven't done long division since elementary school. We tend to lose what we do not use. Therefore, I have found a video online that should be able to help restore your memory if you have forgotten the steps. The problems the gentleman is doing to teach the concepts are more difficult than the ones your child will be expected to do tonight, but it identifies the key concepts. It might even be helpful to watch the video with your child, pausing it along the way to ensure they understand what the man is doing.

To view the video, click here.

Best,

Michael Naaktgeboren