First Words
I am so excited for Monday to arrive. Months of waiting and weeks of training are about to payoff. Though Monday won't be as rigorous as the days to follow, it will be a busy day and students should be prepared to work hard. If time permits, I would ask that you talk to your student about day one. Ask him or her what he or she is excited about. Help calm any fears he or she might have. It will be a fun day if our attitudes are right.
Traffic Reminder
Please remember that traffic is going to be a little crazy on the first day. There will be a number of staff on the grounds helping direct you. You must enter using the entrance in front of the office building. The entrance next to Archway will be closed. It is also important that you not park and that you stay in your vehicle.
Snack Time
I'm so glad that Archway Arete is allowing students a morning snack. I remember the hunger pains I suffered as a child, and especially after summer break. However, we have a number of students with allergies. I want to take every precaution to protect these students. Therefore, the options for snacks are very limited. Here is the approved list:
I am so excited for Monday to arrive. Months of waiting and weeks of training are about to payoff. Though Monday won't be as rigorous as the days to follow, it will be a busy day and students should be prepared to work hard. If time permits, I would ask that you talk to your student about day one. Ask him or her what he or she is excited about. Help calm any fears he or she might have. It will be a fun day if our attitudes are right.
Traffic Reminder
Please remember that traffic is going to be a little crazy on the first day. There will be a number of staff on the grounds helping direct you. You must enter using the entrance in front of the office building. The entrance next to Archway will be closed. It is also important that you not park and that you stay in your vehicle.
Snack Time
I'm so glad that Archway Arete is allowing students a morning snack. I remember the hunger pains I suffered as a child, and especially after summer break. However, we have a number of students with allergies. I want to take every precaution to protect these students. Therefore, the options for snacks are very limited. Here is the approved list:
- Pretzels and crackers (not packaged with peanut butter or cheese)
- Pop-Tarts
- Beef jerky
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
If you fee like their are other possible options, please contact me. However, here are a few things that will not be permitted in the classroom for snack.
- Any kind of nut
- Granola bars (these are usually packaged in facilities that process nuts)
- Anything home made (there is no way to know the recipe)
- Anything overly sugary (example: Skittles)
It is also worth noting that we do not have the ability to refrigerate snacks or lunches. Snacks will be placed out on a shelf and therefore should be able to sit at room temperature for many hours. Snacks should be wrapped separately from their lunch bags. Lunch bags will not be accessed during the snack time.
Lunch
Students may have lunch meals that contain nuts. During lunch, the students with allergies will be given a table to sit at so they are safe. There are a number of children with allergies, so they should never be left sitting alone. Students will not be permitted to trade foods since it is expected that parent's are packing what they intend for their children to eat.
Water Bottles
It is important for students to be hydrated. However, it is not possible to let students go to the water fountain throughout the day. It is therefore suggested that you send a water bottle with your child. The water bottle much seal. The bottle may either be disposable or one that latches shut.
Clubs
There are a few clubs happening after school, but they are filling up quick. Many of them are already filled. If you are interested, click here.
Birthday Celebrations
Here at Archway Arete, we love to celebrate children. A part of that is celebrating a child's birthday. The student will be able to pick the job of his or her choice (probably line leader). We will sing "Happy Birthday" to the child. However, because of allergies and the rigorous academic schedule, I have decided to not permit treats as a way of celebrating birthdays. One method another Archway school celebrates a child's birthday is by allowing the parents to donate an approved children's literature book in his or her honor. To acknowledge the student being honored by donation, an elegant label would be placed inside the front cover. This would also include a brief presentation in front of the class.
Last Words
Thank you for entrusting your beautiful children to me and the Archway Arete staff. As a father of two young children, the idea of sending them to a new place with people I have only met frightens me. It shows a great deal of respect and trust to allow me to be their teacher. I am very thankful and promise to do all that is in my power to ensure that they grow academically and as individuals while being in a safe and caring environment all while enjoying being a student at Archway Arete.
Best wishes,
Michael Naaktgeboren