Skip to main content

Curriculum Night Recap

Greetings Parents,

Tonight, like "Meet the Teacher," was both great and intense. It was great to see those who were able to make it. It makes my heart glad to see parents actively involved in their children's education. I do regret that our night was so short though. It seems like there is always more to say. On that note, let me add a few comments.

No Birthday Treats

Thank you for not reaching for the heaviest items in the desks when I said, no birthday treats. I know that for many, not having some sugary item just isn't a celebration, but I truly believe it is the best decision for the class. I promise to do all that I can to celebrate your children in a way that promotes human dignity and a love for what is good.

Core Knowledge

For the second group, this was left out. Archway Arete values a well rounded education and I'm so glad that we take the time to teach science, history, proverbs, poetry, and all of the specials. Core Knowledge is a scope and sequence that establishes what students should know at certain grades. For example, we are currently studying animal classification in science. We have certain topics that need to be memorized for future discussions to make since. However, we also introduce items that we don't expect students to memorize. We do that so when they approach the content in the future, they will have had some understanding of it. So this year, students are expected to know the difference between animals and plants, but later on will learn about the other four kingdoms.

Book List for Home and Free Reading

I will research this very soon and put up a list of books for your children to read. These are not required, but are there for you if you would like to use them. A colleague suggested that they read the second grade required reading. At Archway Arete, our students are reading books a year above their grade level. That means that our second grade books are what many schools would have their third graders reading. So I will compile that list, along with some others books, and post it on the site soon. I will also put it on the resource page for easy access.

Lastly, Thank You

Not all teachers are blessed to have parents like you. From the beginning you have been encouraging, supportive, and willing to allow me to join in your effort of educating your children. It is such an honor to be entrusted with such beautiful souls. Please keep the lines of communication open. Never hesitate to tell me anything.

Best
,
Michael Naaktgeboren | Third Grade
Archway Classical Academy | Arete